Friday, December 18

DIY Elegant Woodland Wreath

After seeing how similar my Christmas trees and decor choices have been over the past several years (short version: lots of red), I decided to take my Christmas decorations in a new direction this year. First, I decided to challenge myself to decorate for Christmas without red this year. Then, I zeroed in on the idea that I wanted to guide my spirit this holiday season: world peace. Along the way, my vision of a peaceful, natural Christmas evolved into a glamorous woodland mishmash, and I'm happy with the final result.

Every year when we decorate our tree on the day after Thanksgiving, I decorate our wreath to match the same theme. I think it really gives our home a sense of continuity, and hopefully, the way our visitors are welcomed into our holiday home gives them an idea of the warmth and beauty that they will find inside. I'll be sharing our tree and other decorations in the days to come, but today I wanted to welcome you all to the country townhouse, Christmas style.


As always, I began with a simple wreath form from the craft store. This year I took out everything from last year and started from scratch! The first thing to go on was layered gold and burlap ribbon followed by white poinsettias (artificial, of course - I'm pretty sure I got these from the dollar store!). Three flowers in a triangle shape help to anchor the design. I just stick the poinsettia stems right into the wreath and wrap the wires around the faux pine branches for stability.


We loved adding a dollar-store garland and a simple strand of lights to our front porch decor last year, and I think the white lights look really awesome paired with this year's wreath. After adding the poinsettias to the wreath, I wired on some glittered pine cone ornaments (I found them at KMart) and some shatterproof gold and green mini ornaments found last year at Big Lots.


Linking Up:

Flaunt It Friday at Chic on a Shoestring
The Party Bunch at Whipperberry

No comments:

Post a Comment