Sunday, July 20

Sunday Social


Social Sunday

1. What is the most difficult thing you have been through?

Losing my dad.  I've written about my dad's illness and passing several times here on the blog - when I was in my third year of college, Dad's kidneys failed and he was put on dialysis. While I met people who had been on dialysis for 5, 10, 20 years, my dad just seemed so weak and diminished that I was convinced his kidneys were going to fail at any minute.  I struggled with depression and a lot of pent-up anger that year.  The next year, my Dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  My parents decided not to tell me my dad had cancer until after I had taken my finals and he was in his last days.  I didn't realize how strong I could be until I gave the eulogy at my dad's funeral, but it took years for me to be mentally stable about losing him.


2. What was your best birthday?

My 21st - not because WOO BOOZE but because I spent it with my bestie who shares my birthday and our best friends.  There was Red Robin and balloons and stolen glassware and surprise phone calls and it was one of those nights when it feels like anything could happen. My camp staff friends were such a family for me.


3. What has been your favorite thing that you have done in your own city?

I've lived near Roanoke for my whole life, so it's hard to narrow my life down to one favorite activity!  The recent coolest thing was when Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert came here.


4. What is your idea of the perfect date night?

Dinner at either Wasabi (Japanese, obviously) or The Quarter (Cajun) and a concert.  Even though country is not Mr. Q's favorite genre, he's always up to go see my faves with me. Honestly, I enjoy watching our friend's band play almost as much as a big show at the Civic Center.  Live music is as good as a night can get for me.


5. Have you ever been to a blogging conference? If so which one(s)? If not do you want to?

No, I think I would feel out of place at a blogging conference because I'm not a big-time blogger and I don't really think about "growing my audience" or the other things conferences seem to focus on.  It would be neat to meet other bloggers, but not in an environment where everyone is trying to impress everyone else.


5 comments:

  1. I haven't been to any blogging conferences either. I might if there was a local one here that was easy to go but I'm not really up for traveling for a conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Going to a blog conference would be expensive for me since there aren't really any established ones in my area.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to go to a blogging conference. I'll have to be close though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the thing about dealing with something big, like a parents, is that you deal with it because you have to. I think people try to be kind and say things like, "You're so strong, I couldn't do what I was doing." But if they were in the same situation they made it happen, because they would have no other choice.

    And I think part of me would like to go to a blog conference, but I hate the idea of going and not knowing anyone and having no one to talk to. Maybe if there was another blogger I was close to going and we went together I'd be more up for it, but otherwise the idea makes me really nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's ever a blog conference between Virginia and Louisiana we need to hit that up!

      Delete