Tuesday, January 14

Style: My Favorite 2014 Golden Globes Looks

I love awards show season!  Red carpet glitz and glamour?  Yes please.  And I'll be honest, my favorite part is watching the preshow interviews on E!, then snarking about the actual award show on Twitter.  Like I did last year, I took some notes on the outfits that stood out to me during the show, and then tried to spot some potential trends.  Here's what stood out to me.


When I watch red carpet shows, I tend to pick my favorites in terms of what I'd want to wear if I was a celebrity, and this year I was surprised to find myself head-over-heels for what the entertainment television personalities were wearing instead of the movie stars!  TV Guide's Carly Steel had my favorite gown of the night: the white dress is by Sherri Hill and featured a sparkly lace neckline that seemed very old-world elegant, Dao Fournier jewelry, an Aruna Seth bag and a beautiful updo to match.  Here she is on the E! 360 "Glam Cam."   The style of Carly's dress is similar to the gown Michelle Dockery wore to last year's Globes, but done in a softer, more romantic style.  Good Morning America television correspondent Rachel Smith wore a similar style (also Sherri Hill... looks like I've found a new favorite designer!) in pink with lilac beading that seemed fit for a princess and Tacori amethyst earrings. 



Black lace was a popular theme on the red carpet on Sunday.  Cate Blanchett was one of the absolute best dressed women of the night in a lace Armani Prive gown paired with simple, vintage-inspired hair, makeup and jewelry.  Here's the 360 degree view - it's backless!  Leslie Mann's dress picks up on two trends that were big in 2013: the mermaid/fishtail hem and a peplum waist.  The lace detail at the neckline is so pretty and the Dolce & Gabbana dress looked great on her!


I was so excited when it was announced that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler would be hosting the Golden Globes for the second year in a row.  These ladies are two of my idols, even moreso since I just finished reading Tina's book Bossypants.  Tina looked absolutely amazing in her three Golden Globes gowns, all in beautiful shades of red, from a fun pattern by Carolina Herrera and princess hairstyle for the red carpet, to a plunging beaded neckline and soft waves for the opening monologue, and finishing the night with a strapless sheath and an updo.  Wahoowa, Tina.

JustJared (12)


One of my favorite looks of the night was the colorblocked black-and-red Carolina Herrera gown Taylor Swift was rocking.  The sweetheart neckline and full skirt gave the dress a very classic shape while the colorblock gave it a modern touch.  Her faux bob hairstyle was a perfect complement to the feminine dress.



I think my favorite moment of the entire night was Jennifer Lawrence photobombing Taylor Swift during her interview with Ryan Seacrest, awkwardly joking that she was going to push Taylor down the stairs, which then turned into a conversation about the epic text messages Jennifer and Taylor send and their mutual admiration for one another's work.  During the awards, I couldn't help but wondering what they were texting each other.  Were they Snapchatting from their seats?  I hope so.



E! Online

Also completely stunning in red was Lupita Nyong'o, who played Patsey in Twelve Years a Slave.  Her sheath dress with attached cape was by Ralph Lauren and was very dramatic on the red carpet!  I like that she kept the rest of her look very simple.  Here's the 360 degree view so you can really experience the glory of the cape (and fun confetti!)



Another trend I noticed was texture.  The Good Wife's Julianna Margulies (she'll always be Nurse Carol Hathaway to me, though) looked absolutely stunning in a black Andrew Gn gown with gold coral trim. Downton Abbey's Michelle Dockery looked lovely in a strapless gray Oscar de la Renta gown with an intricate gold design, full skirt, and interesting hemline.


Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke wore a sculptural Proenza Schouler gown with a dramatic black and white guipure lace pattern.  The 360 degree view from E! shows that in the back, there is a peplum effect at the waistline.  I thought that Entertainment Tonight television personality Rocsi Diaz's dress was really elegant.  The high neckline is appropriate for a winter event, the striped pattern is beautiful, and the soft color palette looked great with her skintone.




If there was a "she knows what works for her body" award, it would go to Sofia Vergara with Melissa Rauch from The Big Bang Theory in a close second and an honorable mention for Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Melissa Fumero.  Sofia is well-known for her voluptuous figure, and I loved her Zac Possen gown's voluminous skirt and the Tiffany blue colored necklace she wore. A statement necklace was a great choice for her and I thought the blue and black looked really fresh together.  I love the bright yellow Melissa Rauch is wearing and I think we'll see more of it this spring since Freesia is one of Pantone's color report choices for the season.  She wore a similar silhouette in red last year, and a sweetheart neckline and trumpet skirt really do show off her curves beautifully.  Melissa Fumero's beaded sheath really shows off what great shape she is in, highlighting her toned arms.  I'll go do some push-ups now.


Usher and Bradley Cooper were my picks for the best-dressed men at the Golden Globes.  I loved the burgundy/plum color of Usher's suit, and Bradley Cooper's tux was classic and perfect.  Plus they both seem to have stopped aging several years ago.

Who were your picks for best (and worst) dressed at the Globes?

No comments:

Post a Comment