Thursday, January 30

Style: My Favorite 2014 Grammys Looks

Two weeks ago, I shared my picks for best dressed from the 2014 Golden Globes, and now that awards season is in full swing, I wanted to give my two cents on who looked amazing at this year's Grammy Awards.

Romance
I am really into flowing, romantic styles right now, and Katy Perry's Valentino Spring 2014 gown was my absolute favorite look of the night at this year's Grammys. It looked amazing on her - sheet without being too revealing - and the music note pattern was perfect for the occasion without being tacky.  Taylor Swift rocked a romantic, goddess style flowing dress in gray chiffon by Alberta Feretti for her performance of "All Too Well."  I love the style of Taylor's dress, especially the sparkly embellishments, but I think it would look even prettier in a colored chiffon - maybe a light teal or peach.


Shimmer/Metallics

The biggest trend of the night fashion-wise was probably metallic and shimmer.  Taylor Swift's gold Gucci dress for the gold carpet was perfect for her statuesque frame.  I also thought Queen Latifah's shimmering black boatneck gown was a great choice - she looked so elegant.


Red

Stars like Tina Fey, Lupita Nyong'o and Taylor Swift were ladies in red at the Golden Globes, and at the Grammys, Pink was one of the best dressed stars on the red carpet in a formfitting Johanna Johnson gown and a surprisingly feminine take on the undercut hairstyle.  I like the geometric panels on her dress.  Her performance, which featured aerial acrobatics, dance, and a duet with Nate Ruess, was one of the highlights of the night.  I'd love to attend one of her concerts.


Girlie
Ariana Grande and Sarah Hyland both wore looks that were sweet and age appropriate on the red carpet. Ariana wore floral Dolce and Gabbana (are BLACK floral prints going to be a big thing this spring?  Because Tina Fey's Golden Globes red carpet dress was stunning and now this... I'm onboard.)  Sarah Hyland's black and white colorblock Emilio Pucci shift reminded me of the Mod looks of the 1960's, but she accessorized with modern strappy sandals and an Art Deco inspired black and white clutch.


Best Dressed Men

Robin Thicke showed us that he is capable of classy during his performance with Chicago - there was no Beetlejuice suit, life-sized stuffed animal, or twerking to be seen, just a classic tux in luxe velvet.



I like when stars look great on the red carpet while still being true to themselves and their genres, and that's just what Blake Shelton did, pairing a perfectly-cut vest and jacket with jeans and boots.  Blake's performance with some of Country's most well-known Outlaws - Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, and Kris Kristofferson - was one of my favorite performances of the night, and I also loved Miranda Lambert's duet "When Will I Be Loved" with Green Day's Billie Jo Armstrong (somehow I'd missed the fact that Billie Jo released an Everly Brothers tribute album with Norah Jones last year until recently).



Also in the "be who you are" category, Ryan Lewis and Macklemore color-coordinated, flashy, but still very well-cut tuxes.

What were your favorite looks at the Grammys?  Which performances did you enjoy the most?


1 comment:

  1. I went to Pink's concert last year with my mama and she was AMAZING! Best concert I've ever been to, hands down. If she is never near you, I highly recommend you get yourself some tickets because Pink knows how to entertain like no other. Love your fashion breakdown post too :) Will you pick out all my outfits for me?!

    ReplyDelete