Tuesday, January 21

Winter Style: Classy in Cranberry

Shades of deep red and cranberry have had amazing staying power over the past few falls and winters.  It's no wonder - these colors are universally flattering no matter your skin or haircolor, and a deep red men's sweater is just as luxe as a woman's oxblood gloves.  Here are a few items I'm craving to round out my closet before winter says goodbye, as well as some inspiration from style bloggers and celebrities.


Disclaimer: ModCloth links contain an affiliate code.

Winter Cranberry

View this set on Polyvore

1. Tinley Road vest from Piperlime  2. Charming Charlie belt set
3. Trumpet skirt from The Limited 4. J. Crew Factory statement necklace
5. Merona gloves from Target  6. ModCloth beanie
7. Essie "Skirting the Issue" nail polish  8. Tinley Road dress from Piperlime

Deep shades of dark red - burgundy, oxblood, cranberry, call it what you will - have been really popular choices for some of my favorite style bloggers this past autumn and throughout this winter:

Blair Eadie from Atlantic Pacific | Helena from Brooklyn Blonde

I'd never have thought of pairing burgundy and camouflage but after seeing Blair's outfit it's on my to-do list.  I'm also drooling over Helena's scarf and worried about how cold her ankles must be if it's cold enough to be so bundled up.

Caylee Marie on Teen Vogue

I love the colors in Caylee Marie's outfit and I think it would be easy to use a similar palette for a work-appropriate outfit by swapping her oversized jacket for a gray blazer or cardigan and wearing trouser-style pants instead of skinnies.

Taylor Swift from E! Online | Miranda Kerr from My Awesome Outfits



Taylor and Miranda show that shades of deep red work like neutrals - Taylor pairs her burgundy bag with navy and plaid, and Miranda's oxblood tote helps her white, tan, and black outfit stand out.

Kate Middleton from E! Online

Kate Middleton wore a burgundy plaid scarf with a white coat on Christmas day.

I'm also loving deep red nails this season.  I haven't been brave enough to try it for work, but my toes have been sporting it for a while now!  Here are some bloggers who have made it work beautifully, showing that the key to pulling off this color is to keep nails short:

Joanna Goddard wearing NARS "Chinatown" on A Cup of Jo







1 comment:

  1. Great color! I used to avoid burgundy tones because it reminds me of my middle school uniform, yuck!! But, now I'm coming around. I'm actually wearing oxblood/cranberry pants today and recently bought a purse in that hue. It's great for winter!

    ReplyDelete