Sunday, August 18

sunday social: taking a look at my life...

I think I've mentioned before that I really like it when Ashley and Neely post more thought-provoking questions for Sunday Social - it makes me a lot more likely to participate.  This is one of those weeks!

Sunday Social

1. What is something you've always wanted to do but are afraid of?

This may come as a surprise, but I've wanted a nose piercing for a long time.  I'm not afraid of the pain of the piercing - I've got pierced ears so I know what it feels like - but I'm afraid of the reaction I'd get from some people.  I live in a small, very conservative Southern town!  I know I wouldn't be allowed to wear it at work and I'm not sure how my in-laws would feel about me having a piercing - even though my Biblical namesake wore a nose ring.

2. Where do you see yourself in five years?

My actual dream house - it's a modular on display in town!
I love the stonework, craftsman style and big windows.

In 2018, I'll be 33 years old.  I see myself living in a home that Mr. Q and I own, somewhere in the country but still somewhat close to town, and raising a family.  I'll be celebrating my tenth year as a teacher, and hopefully I will have published several articles about best teaching practices and be working on applications for doctoral programs.

3. What are you looking forward to before the end of 2013?

Gratuitous picture of me and Breeze making a Jason Aldean sandwich.

My best friend Breeze is getting married in September and I'm looking forward to helping her pull off the most fun and beautiful rustic wedding!  Then in October we have our ten-year high school reunion.  We are both on the reunion committee along with several other members of our senior year lunch table group and I can't wait to see those girls in person.  I think that our classmates will really enjoy the events we're planning for them.

4. What are your hopes for your blog?

On a Bible study retreat in college.

I hope that I can find a balance between privacy and openness - due to the nature of my work, there are just some things I cannot share online because I wouldn't be comfortable with students or their parents reading about them- that's why I don't talk a lot about depression, anxiety, or PCOS.  I also don't want to alienate any of my friends or readers - I don't ever want to sound preachy- that's why I don't talk a lot about my faith.  On the other hand, I want to feel comfortable writing about issues that are important to me and relevant to my life, and I want to be able to connect with other women who are dealing with the same real life issues I am.

5. Do you always see yourself living in your current town/city?

Photo by Mr. Q - why would I want to live anywhere else?

Right now, I do.  Mr. Q grew up here and I think it's one of the most beautiful places in our state.  We have the mountains and the lake, we have a cute little town to eat and shop in, and we're close to Roanoke when we need to do city things.  Our little town is not very diverse, but proximity to Roanoke, Charlottesville, and Blacksburg helps to make up for that.  Most importantly, our parents are within a short drive and so are most of our extended family members, and we're getting to watch our friends' children grow up.  I would hate to be far away and not be able to help my family in an emergency or to have to watch the littles grow up via Facebook.  Maybe someday our little town will get a bookstore and a Starbucks; then it will truly be ideal for me :)

6. What is your morning routine?


On work days, I take a shower immediately to help me wake up, then come downstairs to brew coffee and eat breakfast while checking e-mail/Facebook and watching the local news.  Mr. Q and I get dressed and leave for work about the same time every morning because we live very close to both of our jobs.  I get a little NPR in on my 5-minute drive.  When I get to work, I make sure my copier is turned on just in case, drop my stuff in my classroom and my lunch in the teacher's lounge, sign in and check my mailbox.  I usually say good morning to the administrators and secretaries on my way out of the office, chat with my team to make sure we're all ready for the day, then do any last-minute prep before homeroom starts at 8:00.  I check my e-mail and the local newspapers (in online form) while my students are arriving.  On the weekends, all bets are off because...


4 comments:

  1. I love the porch on your dream house! I wish we had a front porch.

    I hope that I can find a balance between privacy and openness

    I try to find this balance with every blog post. It took me a long time to decide to start blogging, because I was worried I'd be giving up my privacy. I don't have any regrets (so far). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you haven't regretted blogging, Meredith! This week a student found my Instagram account (which wasn't difficult) - it didn't have any inappropriate pictures because I'm always really careful not to be in those kinds of situations - but it still was a bit of a wake-up call and I locked that account. I'm probably going to take my last name off of my Google account now.

      Delete
  2. Haha! A nose piercing! I have always wanted one of those cartilage piercings at the top of the ear but, my parents would probably look at me crazy (even though I'm 32).

    I know what you mean about finding the balance between privacy and openness. There are some things I would like to be more open about but I know that I have to be careful what I share.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closer I get to 30 the more I think I'm getting to the point where any more piercings would be a sad attempt at trying to look young... then I walk into my classroom and about half of my students have their cartilage, eyebrows, noses, or lips pierced like it's no big deal... or even those gauge things in their earlobes. A few students have asked me if I ever tried to gauge my ears... I always explain that was not a "thing" when I was their age.

      Delete