Sunday, August 11

sunday simplicity: her life would change


"Years later they find themselves talking
about chances, moments when their lives
might have swerved off
for the smallest reason.



What if
I hadn’t phoned, he says, that morning?
What if you’d been out,
as you were when I tried three times
the night before?



Then she tells him a secret.
She’d been there all evening, and she knew
he was the one calling, which was why
she hadn’t answered.



Because she felt-
because she was certain-her life would change
if she picked up the phone, said hello,
said, I was just thinking
of you.



I was afraid,
she tells him. And in the morning
I also knew it was you, but I just
answered the phone
the way anyone
answers a phone when it starts to ring,
not thinking you have a choice."

- "Marriage" by Lawrence Raab

No comments:

Post a Comment