Wednesday, December 26

mini holiday home tour & how i display christmas cards

I hope that all of you had an absolutely fabulous holiday celebration!  Before we move on to thinking about New Year's Eve plans, I wanted to share a few last snapshots of our Christmas decorations and  how I display holiday cards in our country townhouse.


Here's our finished Christmas tree with gifts wrapped and ready to go to Mr. Q's family celebration.  Yes, that is A Christmas Story gift wrap - we found it at Jo-Ann Fabrics and HAD to have it because watching the movie together on television while opening gifts is a Quinn family tradition, so we knew they'd flip for the wrapping paper with pictures of Ralphie, his little brother, and the famous leg lamp!


Since I've been using our favorite ornaments to illustrate my blog posts this month, here's one last favorite - another student gift in the form of a super-cute icicle snowman.  It adds so much sparkle and is great for bare spots on the tree.


One of our new traditions (started last year) is using a cake stand from my growing collection to display Christmas cards - it reminds me of the Victorian tradition of having a place for guests to place their calling cards in a home's entry.  This year I let the cards we received do double duty as a centerpiece!  The cute bunny card (that's Edgar) on top is from my friend Debbie's letterpress, Studio Ten15.


Here's a new project I'm proud of - one of those things that pops into my head as a finished product, leaving me to hunt down the materials to make it a reality.  Remember the circles I'd cut from last year's cards?  This is the idea that was percolating for them.  A little baker's twine, a hole punch, and a few pieces of strategically placed washi tape (both from A.C. Moore) later and I had a garland for our room!




If you decide to make a card garland, make sure to put the twine in the same direction each time you add a card so that all the cards face front.  That's the only tip you probably need!


ENJOY!

Linking Up:

DIY Show Off DIY Holiday Highlights    Catch a Glimpse Button

6 comments:

  1. This is such a great way to display your Christmas cards. Love it.

    2 Little Superheroes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't I think of this? I love this idea. I'm definitely doing this, Thanks for sharing Heather.
    Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the garland! Such a cute idea! And it's the type of thing that you could easily add to year after year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was inspired by a similar garland I saw in a magazine, I think it was my mom's Better Homes and Gardens, where they'd cut out the cards in the shape of reindeer. I went for something more simple :)

      Delete