Thursday, May 29

My birthday in #1 Hits

First of all, I completely stole this idea from Micah, who posted her birthday milestone #1 hits last year.  I filed the idea away in my mental to-blog file and the time has finally come!  Today I am 29 years old, which also makes today my "Golden birthday" or "Champagne birthday."  According to my best friend at work, this should be one of the best years of my life.  Since music is such a big part of my life, it was fun to look back at how much popular music has changed over the past 29 years.  The Birthday #1 tool at This Day in Music is really cool.  I tried to include links to the official videos where VEVO/WMG/Sony/UMG prevented me from embedding them in the post.


The year I was born: May 29, 1985
"Everything She Wants" by Wham
Apparently George Michael still performs this song live from time to time.
I'm fairly certain this is not what my parents were listening to when I was a baby.

My 5th birthday: 1990
"Vogue" by Madonna
Who remembers that this song was actually from the Dick Tracy movie 
soundtrack?  Who remembers the movie Dick Tracy? 
 Definitely one of the most memorable Madonna songs, though.


Do y'all miss pop-up videos?  I know I do.

My 10th birthday: 1995
"Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?" by Bryan Adams
Another memorable song from the soundtrack of a forgettable movie - 
this one is from Don Juan DeMarco.


My apologies for this monstrosity of a video.

My 12th birthday: 1997
I still remember seeing this video on MTV for the first time at my friend Kendall's 
house... Hanson was already blowing up the radio and it was so exciting to see them 
on TV!  I will never, ever judge my students for liking boy bands - I loved Hanson 
and NSYNC, and as a teacher I've gone from having students who love the Jonas 
Brothers, to those who love One Direction.

My Sweet 16:  2001
I loved Moulin Rouge and thought the singers in the video looked awesome - 
especially Pink's top hat.  I think I was aware that Christina's ginormous hair was unfortunate, but I didn't care.  Because of Romeo + Juliet, I was already a Baz 
Luhrmann fan, and Moulin Rouge did not disappoint me.  I may or may not 
have redecorated my bedroom with a  Moulin Rouge theme and I am pretty
 sure that's when my obsession with Paris began.  

My 21st birthday: 2006
"Ridin'" by Chamillionaire
Seems appropriate.  I turned 21 while working at a summer camp so all in all 
it was pretty wholesome.  I'm okay with that, because I got to celebrate with
my bestie Susie, who was also born on May 29th in 1985, in Seattle!
Oh, Chamillionaire, where are you now?  Apparently, on Twitter.


My 29th birthday: 2014
It was just announced that Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" is the new #1 song on Billboard's 
Hot 100.  I think that's just perfect.



2 comments:

  1. I think this is such a fun idea, and just may need to borrow it myself when my birthday comes around in October.

    ReplyDelete