Thursday, January 10

winter color: cool and cozy grays for the home

If you take a peek into my closet (or last week's fashion round-up), it's obvious that gray is my favorite neutral for winter.  It's also a great color for decorating because it's a chameleon color - depending on whether it has brown or blue undertones, gray can be completely cozy and warm, or cool and peaceful.  Here are a few inspirational rooms from around the web that demonstrate how versatile gray can be in creating just the right atmosphere.

LIVING ROOMS

COOL:

The blue undertones in the gray bookcases, ikat pillows, and furry pouf give this room a peaceful feeling.  It's traditional with a lot of modern touches to keep it fun.  I especially love the simple leaves in glass vases on each side of the mantel.

COZY:

The gold wall color and rug in this room keep the gray sofa from seeming too modern or cool.  There's a nice mix of patterns and I like the assymetrical grouping of frames above the desk.  What a great space for living and working!

OFFICES

COOL:

This office reminds me of my friend Lizzy - I think it's the owl lamp and cute rug, but the exposed brick wall is also very Charlottesville to me.  The star here is the chair!  The brick wall and natural wood keep the gray touches from being too cool.

COZY:

This office is really more brown than gray, on the "French Roast" end of the spectrum.  I love how warm the mix of painted and wooden finishes is.

BEDROOMS

COOL:

I love this bedroom - check out that antiqued, mirrored nihtstand!

COZY:

The cozy factor here doesn't come from the shades of gray so much as the texture.  I just want to lean against that tufted headboard and read a book!  This is the look that I strive for in our bedroom.

DINING AREAS

COOL:

The wall color in this dining area is beautiful and unexpected, and I like the painted chairs.  My favorite detail is the teal birdcage in the corner!

COZY:

This is a very traditional room, and I love the idea of using a sofa as dining room seating!

For more ideas for using grays in home decor, check out my post on last year's Pantone gray, Orchid Hush.

No comments:

Post a Comment