Sunday, January 13

sunday social: all about my blog

Sunday Social

1. What is the name of your blog? How long have you been blogging?
My blog is currently called Beyond the Aisle.  I have been blogging in some form since I was in eighth grade, when I started an e-mail zine with my AOL account that was eventually called Loudspeaker.  In high school I had an online journal on the Diaryland website.  In college, I moved to Livejournal, and when my best friend asked me to be her bridesmaid, I started this Blogger site which was originally all about wedding planning and how bridesmaids and friends can help with that process.  When I got engaged, the focus shifted to my own wedding planning, and now that I've been married for over a year I am transitioning into more of a lifestyle blog.



2. Why do you blog?
Writing is my first love!  If I wasn't a teacher, I would want to be employed as a journalist.  I also really loved the world of wedding blogs when I first discovered them, and want to help currently-planning brides plan events that are full of personality without ending up in the poorhouse!  It is possible to plan a beautiful, uniquely "you" event on a budget - Mr. Q and I did!  I am also falling in love with photography and the blog is a great way to experiment with new techniques and stay in practice.  I hope to take a photography class this year.

3. What is the first blog you ever followed?
Since I've been blogging for so long I actually have no idea.  Within the world of wedding blogs, it was Weddingbee, for sure!

4. What is your favorite post you wrote in 2012?
My post about attending a rally for President Obama.  Things like that don't usually happen in Roanoke - we aren't a big city and it seems like the media pretty much forgets we exist.  It felt awesome that President Obama's campaign clearly felt we were a city that could affect the fate of the 2012 election.  This fall, I've gotten more involved with the local education association ("teacher's unions" are illegal in Virginia) and I was really passionate about President Obama being re-elected, not least of all because his stimulus package saved my job and kept class sizes from getting even more ridiculous in my district (a class of 32 students is not unheard of).

5. What are your blogging goals for 2013?
I am not sure what it's going to look like, but I want to write about my faith more on the blog.  I want to be able to do that without alienating any of my readers who are from different faith traditions or who aren't religious.

6. Top 3 favorite blogs to follow:
Right now I'm loving Yes and Yes, Rachel Held Evans' blog, and A Cup of Jo.

7 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the link up:) Love your blog!

    Shelby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most definitely had a livejournal back in the day as well. I actually went through a few livejournal knock-offs as well, and posted for a time at both ujournal and deadjournal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Livejournal was more focused on my writing and stories from my first several years teaching - it was nice to have an anonymous place to vent!

      Delete
  3. Heather you have a lovely blog! I will recommend it to my engaged daughter as she is making some final arrangements for her June wedding. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Tricia! You are going to have so much fun at your daughter's wedding :)

      Delete