Saturday, June 30

independence day craft: 4th of july rag wreath

Patriotic Rag Wreath for the 4th of July - Beyond the Aisle

I usually don't post on Saturdays, but I was so excited about this craft that I had to share it with y'all!  It's totally a lazy-person craft, too - my favorite kind - that I completed while watching an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe worked on a farm.  What could be more all-American than that?


Make a wreath out of ripped jeans - Beyond the Aisle

These used to be my favorite jeans.  Since they ripped right beside the back pocket, and the fabric is really too worn to hold up to patching or sewing, they've been sitting in the rag pile just waiting for a project.  I saw a rag wreath on my friend Riley's Facebook page and was inspired to make my own wreath for Independence Day.

Rag wreath supplies - Beyond the Aisle

My supplies were a wire coat hanger, sewing scissors, my old jeans, and burlap and gingham fabric that I had left over from making my ruffled Christmas tree skirt.

Making a rag wreath - Beyond the Aisle

This is such a basic craft - all you have to do is cut the fabric into strips (mine were about an inch wide) and tie knots!

Making a rag wreath - Beyond the Aisle

Here's what my rag wreath looked like when it was about half finished - I paused periodically and pushed the bows as far as I could because I wanted the wreath to be really full and fluffy.

Completed rag wreath - Beyond the Aisle

I wasn't sure I liked it...

Patriotic Rag Wreath - Beyond the Aisle

Until I flipped it over.  For whatever reason, the side that had been face down while I tied the knots looked much neater.

4th of July Rag Wreath - Beyond the Aisle

I love how my 4th of July rag wreath looks on my rustic star hanger!  Happy crafting!

Linking up:
  Home Stories A2Z 
 Here's to Handy Andy Photobucket 

24 comments:

  1. I love the way these wreaths look! And they look so simple to make that I can't believe I haven't tried to make one yet. Eventually though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was so easy! I'd been seeing them on friends' blogs and Facebook pages, and at the same time complaining about not having a seasonal wreath on the door...

      Delete
  2. Love that you used jeans! So cute!
    Thank you for linking up to our Pinteresting Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was really fun and easy to make and I think I'll leave it up until it's time for a fall wreath.

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I love the fabric choices you made! Thanks so much for linking up to A Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liz, and thanks for hosting the party - I really enjoyed checking out the other projects and recipes and found a bunch of new ideas to pin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, super cute rag wreath! found your blog trying to find crafts made with hangers. Great idea to use one for the base ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn! This is a super easy craft - the hardest part was bending the hanger into a circle so it's not bad at all :) I recently completed a team spirit version which I featured here: http://notjustbrides.blogspot.com/2013/09/team-spirit-uvavt-house-united-wreath.html

      Delete
  6. I just love this! Pinned and I think this could really stay up all summer, not just for the 4th.
    Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com
    Join my link party, Tue-Fri, weekly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! I put my wreath up on Flag Day and leave it up through Labor Day. I am thinking about adding some strips of lace since the colors have faded over the years and the "red, white, and blue" isn't as visible as it was in these photos. :)

      Delete
    2. I made mine yesterday and I'm posting about it today, giving you credit of course :)

      Delete
    3. Wonderful! I can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  7. How long did you cut the strips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really have a set length, I just eyeballed them. Maybe about eight inches? The longer the strips, the longer your rag pieces will be and the bigger your wreath will be overall.

      Delete
    2. I didn't really have a set length, I just eyeballed them. Maybe about eight inches? The longer the strips, the longer your rag pieces will be and the bigger your wreath will be overall.

      Delete
  8. How long are your strips?? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told HBhalogirl, I just estimated the length. Each strip was probably about eight inches long. The longer you cut your fabric strips, the bigger circumference your wreath will have.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. Love this rag wreath. I made one for my laundry room and loved it. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I'm glad you enjoyed making a wreath :) It's so easy to adapt this style for different seasons and holidays. I'd love to see your laundry room wreath!

      Delete
  10. I see that your strips were about 8 inches in length, about how much fabric did you need per color? I have the old jeans, and the burlap but need to purchase the red gingham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this craft is from 2012 I really don't remember how much gingham fabric I had - you can see it in the picture though. My gingham was a remnant from a previous Christmas project and I think it was probably about a yard tops? I've also thought about adding strips of lace to this project so that might be something you'd want to consider :)

      Delete
  11. Love this! Looking forward to the summer and already making plans to decorate my backdoor and porch where we come and go. Not sure if you still reply to comments here, but I was wondering if you just cram all the ribbons together side by side on the wire, squishing them in there to create the fullness or did you tie ribbon over top of ribbon? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your strips were cut into on inch wide but how long were the strips cut into.

    ReplyDelete