Tuesday, May 19

style: my third stitch fix [may 2015]

I took a little break from Stitch Fix in March and April, partially because I was spending my money in other areas and partially because it was that weird between-season time when I'm looking for wardrobe completers rather than staples and accent pieces. Since my first two Fixes were so awesome, though, I was ready to try again in May. This time around, I adjusted my style profile again to reflect what I learned from my second shipment, and overhauled my Stitch Fix Pinterest board to focus on fewer, more specific pieces rather than every single thing I think it cute on the Internet. 

I requested Heather as my stylist again since I felt like she did a good job with my style on my second Fix, and also gave her a short wish list with my order (and mentioned my upcoming birthday - it couldn't hurt, right?). As soon as I saw my stack of items this month, I thought, "Oh my goodness, Stitch Fix totally gets me!" The prints, colors, and textures were perfect, and I was really happy to see jeans. However, while the style was perfectly on point this month, the actual fit of my items was less than perfect. I'm going to organize my review a little bit differently this time - I wanted to share the items from my Pinterest I think stylist Heather may have based some of her choices on.


My wish list included stripes, a utility vest, chambray, gray jeans, boyfriend jeans, peplum, neutral statement jewelry a lace top, florals, a jewel tones. Here are some lace tops I had pinned:

Anthropologie (similar) | Ruche 

Stitch Fix sent me the Pixley Carlie Mixed Lace Short Sleeve Shirt. It's cut like a t-shirt, but instead of being lined like the blouses I'd pinned it was completely made of stretchy, completely see-through lace, in multiple patterns sewn together in a curvy seam.


Cute out of the box, not so cute on my actual body. The stretchy lace was very clingy and the shape of the seam was not flattering. From other bloggers' reviews, I found out that apparently Stitch Fix used to include a camisole with this top, but that's obviously no longer the case. I think I might have liked the top without the multiple patterns - if it had been the striped lace all over, maybe. Status: Returned.

I'd also pinned several pairs of boyfriend jeans:


Stitch Fix's answer to my request were the Mavi Sonja Boyfriend Jeans, seen above and below. Since I'm petite, I have some trouble finding jeans, and these were a really good pick - definitely my style (I think I specifically said no holes), potentially work appropriate on a casual Friday, and they had the cute cuffs like the jeans I'd pinned. The fit was fairly tight - more like a skinny jeans than what I thought a boyfriend jean would feel like. The fabric (a cotton/polyester/elastane blend) was a little scratchy, and the jeans were too low-cut to pass the "teacher test" (can I squat down beside a kid's desk? Not in these jeans!). Status: Returned.

I had several jewel-toned cardigans pinned, including this one which I feel like stylist Heather was able to perfectly duplicate!


The 41Hawthorn Abrianna Longsleeve Knit Cardigan is so soft and warm while being fairly lightweight. I absolutely adore the fuchsia color, and had high hopes for this cardigan since the striped skirt I kept in February and the blouse I kept from my first Fix were also from 41Hawthorn. Unfortunately, the sleeves were too long and wouldn't look good rolled up, nor do I feel like a good enough seamstress to hem them!


You can see in this photo that the Pixley lace top looks much cuter on me when the mixed lace and seams aren't visible. I'm still going to look for a lace blouse or tank to wear as a layering piece.

I think my final apparel item was definitely inspired by all of the floral tops on my Pinterest board...


I received the Collective Concepts Lydia Floral Print Key-Hole Blouse. The fabric this blouse is made of is absolutely gorgeous - a deep cobalt with a fuchsia and teal floral and bird print that looks a little bit Asian inspired. It also has fun contrasting straps and black piping.


The part of this top I couldn't love was the keyhole neckline, or as I called it, the boob window. It doesn't look bad in this photo, and probably didn't look so bad in real life, but I knew I would be self-conscious every time I wore this top and it wouldn't work for school. Maria from Kinder Craze and Ashley from Spoonful of Flavor both loved it and look great in it, so check out their reviews if you're thinking of adding this top to your wish list! Status: Returned.

Finally, my accessory from this shipment met the general criteria from my wishlist: a neutral statement necklace. To see why I was a little disappointed in it, let me show you the pieces I'd pinned:

Maurice's (similar) | J. Crew Factory (similar)

Stitch Fix sent me the Romolo Torrin Scratched Metal Fan Necklace. It's shiny, geometric, and statement making, but wasn't quite what I had in mind when I pinned long, bphemian pendants.


Here's how Stitch Fix works, in case you're wondering: when you sign up, you pay a $20 styling fee. That fee can be applied toward any items you decide to keep from your shipment. Everything you don't keep goes back to Stitch Fix in a prepaid Priority Mail envelope. 

Even though I didn't keep any items from this shipment, it really proved to me that the stylists at Stitch Fix put a lot of effort into getting to know clients' personal styles, take notes seriously, and look at Pinterest boards. I've already requested my June Fix!

Want to try Stitch Fix? If you follow this referral link to sign up, I'll receive credit toward my account when you receive your first shipment!



No comments:

Post a Comment