Tuesday, January 10

style: favorite 2017 golden globes looks

It's become something of a tradition for me to do a post-award show fashion round-up. I'm no expert, of course, just a regular girl who loves pretty dresses and trying to spot trends. There were definitely some common themes at the Golden Globes this Sunday that can inspire our own spring looks, as well as some fresh looks the likes of wish we haven't seen gracing the red carpet in the last few years. [Image Sources]

The Cutest


The cast of Stranger Things, obviously! Millie Bobby Brown, who plays Eleven on the show, is twelve years old and classier than I have ever been, and I just want to squeeze the little dudes. Their rap/Barb tribute in the show's opener was EVERYTHING.


My Favorite Looks


I'm probably being super predictable with my picks, but I think the two most elegant looks at the Globes took the cake. Emma Stone's star-spangled blush pink Valentino gown was the stuff my fashion dreams are made of, and I've got the Pinterest boards to prove it. I also thought Michelle Williams looked fantastic in her off-the-shoulder lace Louis Vuitton gown. Chokers are a big trend right now and both ladies put their own spin on it.


Honorable Mentions


Plunging necklines were popular on the awards show red carpets last year, and were even more of a Thing this year, with stars like Kristen Bell and Jessica Biel pushing the limits of Hollywood Fashion Tape. My favorite takes on the trend came from Mandy Moore, whose navy dress included a glamorous cape, and Gone Girl's Emily Ratajkowski, who also slayed in the hair and makeup department.


The Hollywood Princesses


Lily Collins could wear a garbage bag and look gorgeous, and her embellished Zuhair Murad Couture dress in a dusty rose hue was one of the most popular looks of the night. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the ruffle on the train, but the gown looked amazing when she spun around on the red carpet. Hailee Steinfeld was also giving off Disney vibes in lavender Vera Wang cut in a trendy cold-shoulder style. Both starlets kept their hair sleek, brows and lips bold, and wore pastel eye makeup to match their gowns (Lily's was actually lip liner and blush, according to E!)


Color Trend: Primrose Yellow



One of Pantone's color trends for this spring, there was a LOT of primrose yellow on the red carpet! Viola Davis shone in bright yellow, Natalie Portman channeled Jackie O, Reese Witherspoon looked every bit the movie star in Versace, and the embroidery on Busy Philipps' black gown was a fun, folk art inspired touch that suited her bohemian style.


The Living Sculptures


Outlander's Caitriona Balfe's Delpozo dress was one of my favorites of the night because it was so unique (maybe a nod to all of her character Claire's amazing dresses in Paris?). I suppose we should expect nothing less from a supermodel, but I thought Naomi Campbell looked especially awesome in metallic lilac Versace.


Yaass!


Sorry for the cheesy category title, but "outfits I love because they are totally true to the personalities of the women wearing them" was too long. I absolutely love Janelle Monae, and her Armani Privé dress was true to her black and white signature style, and her recent string of crafty hairstyles continues with a pearl-pinned beehive. It made me happy, but I'm having a hard time finding a picture of her smiling, so I'm wondering if it was horribly uncomfortable. On the other hand, Evan Rachel Wood looked super comfortable and confident in her Marlene Dietrich inspired Joseph Altuzarra tuxedo. I loved the reason she gave for wearing it - on the red carpet, she explained that she's been to the Golden Globes six times in dresses and wanted to make sure young girls know they don't have to wear dresses if they don't want to.

What was your favorite red carpet look at this year's Golden Globes? 
Are you an awards show addict like me?

If you'd like to add any of these images to your Pinterest boards or blog, please visit my Pinterest board and pin/save from the original source. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment