Friday, September 6

team spirit: house united rag wreath [football season!]


I've seen several great ideas for "House Divided" wreaths on Pinterest: they're perfect for couples that attended rival colleges - like us!  Mr. Q is a Virginia Tech alumni and I graduated from the University of Virginia.  I'd been thinking about putting my own spin on a House Divided wreath, but when I really thought about it, I decided to go in a different direction.

I made a House United rag wreath.   Honestly, Mr. Q and I are not the rabid football fans that many Virginia natives are.  We love a good game, but neither of us gets throwing-things angry when our team loses.  When we were talking the night we met and learned that we attended rival schools, both of us kind of shrugged and kept asking questions.  Mr. Q has attended several UVa games with me, I've been to a few Tech games, and we root for both the big Virginia teams every weekend - except for that one weekend in November when the Commonwealth Cup is on the line. 

To make my House United wreath, I used the same method used to make my Fourth of July Rag Wreath - I just love the random, rustic look it creates!  My raw materials were a coat hanger, scissors, four spools of ribbon, and four fabric quarters (from the quilting section at JoAnn Fabrics).  I used navy, maroon, burnt orange, and bright orange fabric, and burgundy grosgrain, orange dot, orange stripe, and blue gingham ribbon.

Once I had my coat hanger circle made, I cut my ribbons, cut and ripped the fabric into strips, and went to work tying knots around the circle.  I tried to mix up the colors as much as possible.  This is what the side that was face-up while I was working looks like when it's finished:


I flipped the wreath over to hang it on the door - the side that was facing the table while I was working.  For whatever reason, that side always looks a little more rustic and fun!  Making the wreath took about an hour.  I'd love to try this again with a little burlap ribbon in there with the school colors!

 


See that crazy goodness?  I love ripped edges.


Here's what the wreath looks like on our front door.  Do you like my antique 
key print welcome mat?  It's a Target find.


And here's a shot of our townhouse in her between-seasons glory!

Linking Up:


6 comments:

  1. This is a unique idea instead of the really definitive rivalry stuff. But Go Hokies :) My husband and I joke that we should start making "House United" décor since we went to Tech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love some of the rivalry stuff - the flags are so cute and I've been on the lookout for one forever, and I think the bumper stickers are perfect for families with children attending both schools (I grew up with a lot of families like that since my home town is right smack in the middle of Tech country and UVa country).

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! I would have never thought that the base is simply a wire coat hanger!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! It really is a simple craft with a big visual impact, and only takes about an hour. I spent about $25, but if we'd had any old UVa and Tech t-shirts lying around to rip up, it would have also been a frugal project :)

      Delete
  3. I feel like wreaths are so in with bloggers lately! I always love how they look, but have yet to make my own. Although knowing I could make one from a coat hanger, well, definitely makes me want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wreaths are one of my favorite crafts because they are so easy - the coat hanger wreath is one of the easiest crafts I've ever made!

      Delete