Monday, March 26

clicks of note.

LISTEN.

  • Are you into the Hunger Games?  As a middle school English teacher it was impossible not to get swept up in the phenomenon, and I've seen the movie twice now - once with one of my awesome colleagues and many students in the theater, and once with my family and friends.  It's been about a year now since I read the books, so I wasn't as nit-picky as some of my friends who just finished the series or are currently reading.  I thought the movie was a great adaptation and over time adaptations that aren't perfectly true to a book can seem like great works in and of themselves - the Harry Potter movie Prisoner of Azkaban is very different from the book, but it's now my favorite of the movies.  The Hunger Games soundtrack is awesome, although I still don't really understand the trend of having a "score" of music from the actual film and a "soundtrack" of songs inspired by the film.  Anyway, this Taylor Swift and the Civil Wars song has been stuck in my head for quite a while now.
READ.
  • While we're on the topic of young adult literature, I highly recommend Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper.  Mrs. Draper is a former middle school teacher who knows how to write for young people.  The premise of Out of My Mind is "what if you were a genius but no one knew?"  The main character and narrator, Melody, is in fifth grade and has never spoken a word.  I think this is a must-read for any adults who work with people with disabilities; it really made me think about and appreciate basic skills like being able to hold a spoon.
    COOK.
    Fruit Fool via Treats
    • What dessert could be more appropriate for April Fool's Day this Sunday than a berry fool?  A fool is a traditional British dessert dating back to the 15th century!  The traditional ingredient is gooseberries, but those of us cooking stateside can use strawberries, blueberries, or whatever's in season.  Add berries, gelatin, heavy cream, sour cream, mint leaves, and graham crackers to your grocery list and check out the recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated at Treats.

      1 comment: