Saturday, December 31

Top 10 Favorite Home Things 2011

The Country Townhouse is still a baby home for Mr. Spin and I - it hasn't quite been six months for us yet!  My favorite part of being a newlywed has been decorating my home with my husband, making it feel like "ours" instead of mine or his, and discovering our shared style (I lean toward cottage/traditional style, he gravitates toward sleek modern style... yet loves throwing around words like "rustic" and "distressed" since he started working in the home decor industry!).  I thought I would share some pictures of and stories behind my favorite things in our little dwelling place.

Giant metal cutlery may also be used as a weapon in the Zombie Apocalypse.

1. Metal fork and spoon
I think Mr. Spin thought I was a little crazy when the first thing I brought into our home was a big black fork and spoon.  It was a non-negotiable for me; "my" kitchen was GOING to have giant metal cutlery.  My Mamaw's kitchen had a big black fork and spoon on the wall and it was the happiest kitchen in the world.  My mom gave me these, which were in storage from when she and my dad rocked the giant cutlery look in the 70's.  I gave them a new coat of black paint to look more like Mamaw's set.  Getting them on the wall was tricky because there is a duct right behind them.  Thanks, 3M products!

This is how I used my cake stand during the Christmas season.
Check out that attractive bunny card from my friend Debbie's letterpress studio!

I apologize for the blurry picture; I was doing a weird crouch thing to get level with the countertop.

2. Cake stands
I developed a little dessert table obsession while wedding planning and acquired a gorgeous white ruffly cake stand from Pier1 (my mom purchased a second one for symmetry's sake at the wedding; it, of course, lives with her).  I had mentioned to Mr. Spin that I wanted a glass cloche for the stand, and he did me one better- for Christmas he got me this anchor cake stand with dome that also turns into a punch bowl.

Hello, my personal fluffy cloud.

3. Master bedroom bedding
Softest. Comforter. In the world.  Ivory, purple, and blue = wedding colors/the best colors ever.  Plus some gray to make it modern.  And those accent pillows are adorable.


Keep your friends close and your Harry Potter books closer.


4. Bookshelf
My life felt so disorganized up until we got this bookshelf.  While Mr. Spin likes a cherry finish on furniture, I prefer espresso.  He didn't even argue with me on what color the bookshelf should be for the guest room/office - espresso all the way!  Now my books have a home, sorted by genre and author, and my craft supplies are (mostly) in one place- ignore that Sephora box because it will be replaced by a nice basket soon.

The crate that stole my heart.

5. Corned beef crate
Mr. Spin and I met at a restaurant called Corned Beef.  When I saw this crate at the antique mall in my hometown I knew I had to have it.  I wanted to use it as wedding decor in some way, but that didn't happen, so home decor it is.  It's the constant in my seasonally-changing kitchen cabinet-top vignette.


Old picture because the table is currently a victim of a lesson planning tornado.
Home decor industry husbands are great at hanging art.


6. Autumn mountains painting
This painting was my favorite thing Mr. Spin's company makes.  Like most things I love, it was discontinued. This one had been sold, but the person who bought it never paid for it... so Mr. Spin cancelled the order, paid for it, and now it hangs above our table.  I am a mountain woman through and through, my favorite season is autumn, and I like to pretend that this is the view out my window.


Blue Mason jars are another obsession... but I only have one.


7. Flower bowls
I collect bowls shaped like flowers... for no reason other than they make me happy.  The colorful set is antique, from Japan, and wasn't really a "collection" until I got the blue and green set, which is from Target.  I'm not picky.


We will need a new calendar... Snow and Graham or Kraft Paper?


8. Paint chip mosaic
Yep, I'm pretty proud of this thing.  I may do another one in less Christmas-y colors eventually.


9. Wonder painting
Just a little bargain-bin thing from Bed Bath and Beyond... that just happened to perfectly match the shower curtain left in the guest bathroom by my friend who lived here before us.  It's so cheerful, with the butterflies and WONDER motto, that I smile every time I look at it.

I do believe these are from ABC Distributing and have been discontinued...
here is something similar with purple flowers and text that they offer now.


10. Botanical canvases
These were a gift from my best friend Breeze and I wasn't sure I'd be able to use them in the townhouse.  Black and green?  But they make my laundry room happy and zen-like.

Linking up to What You Talkin' 'Bout Wednesday? at Literally Inspired

No comments:

Post a Comment