Sunday, March 2

sunday social: blast from the past

1. What was your biggest middle school fashion mistake?

Remember JNCO jeans?  When the trend was to have the jeans with the widest possible leg openings?  I was poor, so I had knock-off JNCO jeans from JC Penney's juniors department.  I would wear them with a purple crushed velvet top with a silver glitter butterfly on it.  I also had a stuffed animal backpack purse shaped like a monkey and I wore body glitter.  Basically, I am guilty of falling prey to every bad 90's trend.

2. Who were your best friends in high school?

One nice thing about living close to my hometown is that I'm still best friends with most of the same people I was friends with in high school and see many of them on a regular basis.  Breeze, Kendall, and Marci have been my friends since middle school.  Kyndal and Hollie have been my friends since high school.  I love that we are all still in touch and supporting each other as we pursue our jobs and build our families.

Brittney and I in college

Kyndal and I in our first year at UVa

3. What was a typical weekend like for you in high school?

Living out in the country, a big, exciting weekend probably meant that my mom was taking me to Roanoke to go shopping at the mall.

4. Did you have any boyfriends/girlfriends? Tell us about that.

My first high school boyfriend wanted to be a Baptist minister.  I was cool with that, but when he wrote an essay for English class on why Liberty University founder Jerry Falwell was his idol, I realized that he was perhaps way too conservative for me.  My second high school boyfriend was on the JV football team and got another girl pregnant about a week after we broke up.  My longest high school relationship was with a guy I knew from 4-H camp; we'd been counselors together.  I can see now that he was dealing with depression while we were dating, but at the time I did not understand his mood swings - I am glad I got out of that relationship when I did, and I hope he got help.

5. Did you have any secret codes with your friends? Spill your secrets!

I never had a secret code, but Breeze and I thought we were being really sneaky when we wrote notes to each other in our day planners and then asked if we could "see what the homework was" right in the middle of class.  We also had nicknames for all the guys we thought were good looking and their girlfriends so that we could talk about them without other people knowing whom we meant.

6. If you could relive one day/moment/experience from middle school or high school, what would it be?

I have very fond memories of the last few weeks of senior year.  I remember being so happy for everyone at our Senior awards night - not feeling competitive or jealous of what anyone else won and cheering on those who received scholarships and recognition for their accomplishments.  As NHS president I was in charge of the Baccalaureate ceremony and I remember being very proud of pulling off something so formal.  I remember singing "Eye of the Tiger" and "We are the Champions" with one of my guy friends right before we went to take our places on the stage for our graduation ceremony.


2 comments:

  1. That was a run post to read! Being a chav was my biggest fashion mistake, haha! It wasn't called 'chav' at the time though and it was the 'cool' way to dress!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't really have an equivalent to "chav" in the U.S., but when I was in middle school everyone basically either aligned themselves with rap music or heavy metal and dressed accordingly. I listened to NSYNC and Backstreet Boys but I dressed like I listened to Nine Inch Nails and Korn.

      Delete