Saturday, November 12

Our Wedding: Cake Table & Pennant Banner Instructions

I think that our cake table was one of my favorite parts of the wedding.  I'd been inspired by lots of images on wedding blogs and message boards, and was excited to bring my vision of a festive dessert table to life with help from Jeana.

I was very happy that we were able to project our monogram on the wall - so cool and modern looking!  The font used for our initial and names is Lily Wang and the date is Book Antiqua - the same fonts used on our invitations and programs.  (Lily Wang can be purchased from MyFonts).  It also ended up being a happy accident that the rentals outlet did not offer all of the linen sizes we needed in the blue pintuck, so we used an opaque purple on the cake table, sweetheart table, and buffet - it made them stand out (although looking at these pictures I wish we'd steamed the opaque linens!).  The cake stands are from Pier1, and the milk glass vases are thrifted.  I won our champagne flutes in a Weddingbee giveaway - blog contests are real, ladies - leave those comments!  But my absolute favorite part of the display was the pennant banner I made.

I think pennant banners are adorable and make cute home decor (I plan to string ours up in our guest room when we get our bookcase and day bed moved in!) in addition to being appropriate at weddings and parties!  Instructions follow under the cut - and I've linked this post to Literally Inspired's party!




I made the pennant banner with cardstock scrapbook paper in different shades of lavender and periwinkle, cut with my Fiskars paper trimmer (which has unfortunately died since them) using a template I made with some cardboard from a cereal box.  I used my home printer/copier/scanner to copy pages from old books, including my grandfather's folk songs sheet music book, onto ivory cardstock, and cut them into slightly smaller triangles.  I pasted the book pages onto the colored pennants (leaving a few without book pages) and punched holes in the corners with a standard hole punched.  I used foam letter stickers to spell out "LOVE" on what would be the center pennants, strung them on purple ribbon, tied bows at each end to keep those four triangles centered, and then added the other pennants on each end.  Jeana and Coordinator C attached the pennant to the tablecloth with some leftover pearl-tipped bouquet pins I had.


Our cake by Susan of Kelly Cakes looked simply amazing - she totally "got" my "milk glass cake" vision.

2 comments:

  1. Your cake table set up looks so amazing! The cake itself looks gorgeous, and delicious. I love the monogram on the wall behind the table. But my absolute favorite is the bunting on the table. I just love the way it all came together!

    ReplyDelete