Friday, February 5

#5FandomFriday: My OTPs!

5 Fandom Friday is a weekly prompt challenge hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space ChickThis week's #5FandomFriday topic is OTPs, a term near and dear to my geeky little heart. The only reason I even know what fandom is started back in 2003 when one of my college dorm-mates shared a Livejournal code with me. I started a blog and gradually started making friends and joining communities - the true highlight of the LJ world. For me, the fact that there were places online to hang out and talk about Harry Potter and other fandoms, share headcanons, and read pretty decently writen fanfic (and try my hand at writing drabbles) was a revelation. Of course, those communities also included a lot of debates about OTPs, which I learned stood to One True Pairing. Geeks like me tend to "ship" characters, meaning when the chemistry is there, we want those characters to hook up, and we mourn our favorite fictional relationships long after they have ended. When you're in actual pain because there's so much unresolved romantic tension, you probably have an OTP. Here are the OTPs, in roughly chronological order, that still give me the feels when I think about them now.



"Lupin's eyes were fixed on Sirius."

Remus and Sirius, Harry Potter/Shoebox Project - I read the Harry Potter series late until OoTP, and discovered Remus and Sirius through fanfic before I'd encountered them in the actual books. There was so much R/S fic that I actually assumed their relationship was canon. Therefore, my version of Marauders-era Remus and Sirius is almost completely based on their counterparts in the Shoebox Project.



"Great love is wild and passionate and dangerous. It burns and consumes."

Spike and Buffy, BTVS - A.k.a. Spuffy. In the show's final episode, it becomes clear that Spike doesn't believe Buffy was really in love with him, and Sarah Michelle Gellar herself is an Angel/Buffy shipper, but WHATEVS. Angel never did it for me, and Spike did even when the Scoobies had him tied to a chair. Buffy grew as a person because he challenged her, and he proved that he would truly do anything for her.



"I couldn't live without you, I guess."

Tony and Ziva, NCIS - I know, I know, your grandpa probably watched NCIS. I haven't watched it since Cote de Pablo left the show and effectively ruined my hopes for Tiva ever becoming reality. This 'ship suffered from different writers treating the characters' interactions differently, but the spark between these two was always there and turned out to be the actual reason I watched the show every week. Word on the web is Michael Weatherly is leaving the show so I haven't 100% given up hope that Tony and Ziva can still ride off into the sunset and have little Italian/Israeli babies.



"When I win your heart, Emma, and I will win it, it will not be 
because of any trickery. It will be because you want me."

Hook and Emma, Once Upon a Time - Oh. My. Goodness. I did not like Killian Jones, alias Captain Hook, when he was introduced during Emma and Snow's trip to the Enchanted Forest and their run-in with the giant - I honestly thought he was kind of a creeper. By episode 3x5, "Good Form," I was onboard team Captain Swan, and now I'm full of anticipation for Emma to go save Killian from the Underworld. 



"That's in Scotland."

FitzSimmons, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The science nerds that went from BFFs who completed each others' sentences to badass action hero cursed lovers. This pair gives me mini heart attacks with each of the cliffhangers the showrunners love to thrust on them, from Jemma jumping out of a plane, Fitz almost drowning, and Jemma being absorbed by a monolith and transported to a hell planet, to Fitz going back to the hell planet to save her space boyfriend because it was the right thing to do.

Honorable Mentions: Celaena and Chaol (Throne of Glass), Daryl and Beth (The Walking Dead), Nick and Jess (New Girl),  Hatter and Alice (SyFy Alice), Arthur and Ariadne (Inception), Sawyer and Kate (LOST),  Hyde and Jackie (That 70's Show), John Carter and Abby Lockhart (ER)


Which OTPs make your heart go pitter-patter?



2 comments:

  1. I have got to get on Buffy and Once Upon a Time. I feel like I'm really missing something.

    ReplyDelete