Tuesday, January 12

winter tv preview!

winter 2016 tv i'll be tuning in for

It's prime couch potato season, and luckily our favorites are coming back, along with a handful of new shows to check out. Today, I'm rounding up the shows I'm most looking forward to this winter, along with their airtimes, networks, and premiere dates. Times are for the East Coast.

sundays

Once Upon a Time (8 p.m., ABC, March 6) - March feels really far away right now, because I'm going through Captain Swan withdrawl. In the second half of Season 5, the main characters will be going to the Underworld to help Emma save Hook and encountering pretty much every baddie who's ever died in the show along the way. 

Mercy Street (10 p.m., PBS, Jan 17) - Civil War medical drama? Sure, Masterpiece Theater, why not?

mondays
Supergirl (8 p.m., CBS) - Melissa Benoist is adorable as Kara, Superman's cousin whose trip to Earth got delayed and whose sister works for a secret organization that captures alien villains, and Calista Flockhart is great as her overbearing boss - it's like Agents of SHIELD crossed with The Devil Meets Prada.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (8 pm., The CW, Jan 25) - I will be streaming this one on Hulu again since Mondays are going to be so packed! Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has elements of Ally McBeal, 30 Rock, and Glee, and star Rebecca Bloom just won a Golden Globe for her performance.



The X-Files (8 p.m., Fox, Jan 25 following premiere Jan 24) - Mulder and Scully are coming back to us at last. Mostly I'm just excited about Scully's sass being back in our lives.
The Magicians (9 p.m., Syfy, Jan 25) - I've heard good things about Lev Grossman's books on which this series is based, which is described as collegiate Harry Potter. I haven't gotten a chance to read the books yet, but I plan on checking out the television series.

Angie Tribeca (9:30 p.m., TBS, Jan 17) - TBS is airing the entire first season of Rashida Jones' new series, a parody of police procedurals like Law and Order: SVU, as a marathon starting at 9:00 p.m. on Sunday the 17th, then debuting the second season on the 25th to air on a normal weekly schedule. You do you, TBS.

tuesdays

Fresh Off the Boat (8:30 p.m., ABC, Feb 2) - I fell in love with the first half of this season of the sweet, funny, sarcastic show about a Chinese family trying to fit in after a move to Orlando, Florida.


Shadowhunters (9 p.m., Freeform, Jan 12) - I loved Cassandra Clare's urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments, and didn't hate the film version as much as a lot of critics apparently did. I hope that the television series will fare better - the snippets I've seen so far look pretty awesome; ideally they will be able to strike a balance between the dark, truly terrifying aspects of the stories and the lighthearted, flirty teenage life bits that made them feel real. ABC Family Freeform is plugging this one HARD so I expect my Cassie Clare books to start flying off my classroom shelves again.
Agent Carter (9 p.m., ABC, Jan 19) - My girl is moving to Los Angeles for the second season, and we will meet Mrs. Jarvis among other new characters.
Agents of SHIELD (9 p.m., ABC, March 8) - The fall season of Agents of SHIELD definitely ended on a cliffhanger; the fallout of that episode's events should be very interesting to watch.
Teachers (11 p.m., TV Land, Jan 12) - No show about teachers ever lasts on television, but I'll give this one a chance.

wednesdays

The Middle (8 p.m., ABC) - Always a great little spot of humor in the middle of the week; last week's episode had Sue rushing sororities at her midwestern college and maybe making a new best friend.


The Goldbergs (8:30 p.m., ABC) - Is it a sign that I'm getting older that my favorite character on this show is the mom? My favorite part of this show are the clips from Adam Goldberg's real home movies that show the inspiration behind each episode.
Nashville (10 p.m., ABC, March 16) - I'm not sure whether I come for the music and stay for the drama, or come for the drama and stay for the music.

thursdays

Big Bang Theory (8 p.m., CBS) - Big Bang Theory is the comfort food of TV. I think Howard and Bernadette are starting to hear the pitter-patter of little feet this semester, which should have an interesting effect on our favorite group of nerds.


Colony (10 p.m., USA, Jan 14) - I don't really understand what this show is about (aliens?), but it stars Josh Holloway, who played Sawyer on LOST!

fridays

Masterchef Junior (8 p.m., Fox, Jan 8) - I love seeing what young people are capable of, and I've actually gotten teaching ideas from Gordon Ramsay!
Sleepy Hollow (8 p.m., Fox, Feb 5) - I still need to watch the end of last season on my DVR, but I'm always along for the ride with Abbie and Ichabod.

saturdays
Saturday Night Live (11:30 p.m., NBC, Jan 16) - Studio 8H is bringing some serious star power this season, with Adam Driver and Chris Stapleton on the 16th, Ronda Rousey and Selena Gomez on the 23rd.

streaming
Chelsea Does (Netflix, Jan 23) - I've read all of Chelsea Handler's books and I'm looking forward to seeing her take on marriage, drugs, racism, and technology.
Fuller House (Netflix, Feb 26) - MY CHILDHOOD.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for Fuller House! :)

    Amy @ http://befilledwithj0y.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost here!!! The trailers I've seen make it look adorable - they even have a Golden Retriever just like in the original series.

      Delete