Wednesday, January 13

style: favorite 2016 golden globes looks


As longtime readers know, I love movies and celebrities, and therefore I love award season! Though my taste in fashion tends toward the classic and usually shies away from anything angular or too revealing, I found myself really loving some styles that were very different from the gowns I've loved in the past I watched this year's Golden Globes. When I started pinning my favorites, I realized there were a few common threads (pun intended) in the dresses that were my favorites. [Image Sources]


Plunging necklines were a big trend at this year's Globes, and in my opinion Jaimie Alexander had the most stunning look of the night. Her emerald geometric-print dress was striking without being too distracting, she wore her gown confidently, and her hair and makeup were perfect. Where's our Lady Sif movie, Marvel? Another starlet who looked perfect while taking the plunge was Jenna Dewan Tatum in a navy blue sequined gown that looked even better on television than it does in photos and much better than last year's butter-colored strapless gown. BOTH gowns had pockets, a detail I really appreciate as a real human being who carries things to parties.



Two ladies looking elegant in black with sleek center-parted hairstyles: Fargo's Kirsten Dunst's velvet dress with plunging neckline looked great on video, while Caitriona Balfe's lacy gown might be a nod to some of the costumes her character Claire will wear on Outlander this season when she and Jamie travel to France during Louis XV's reign. 



I'm always a fan of a beautifully-made ballgown: Gina Rodriguez wore navy, one of the most popular colors of the night (with pockets!), while Tara Lynne Barr wore a classic red gown with an asymmetrical neckline and hem that made it look fun and youthful.



This year's Golden Globe goddesses were Soairse Ronan and Lily James - Lily's co-presented Jaime Foxx seemed to get a little tongue-tied when he took the stage with her!



Jennifer Lawrence, who won Best Comedy Performance for Joy, probably had the most unique dress of the night, though both the color and style are certainly in her red carpet wheelhouse. She looks great in modern styles and I like that she kept the rest of her look simple and sophisticated. I was blown away by how great Lady Gaga, who won Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series for American Horror Story: Hotel, looked - it seems that she's put the meat dresses and other outlandish gimmicks away for good, and her hair, makeup, black velvet dress, and jewelry were all perfectly Old Hollywood.



Also channeling Old Hollywood vibes in their elegant emerald gowns, Jada Pinkett Smith and Rebecca Bloom. Rebecca won Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Musical or Comedy, for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which has become one of my favorite shows over the past year.



I'm always happy to see starlets take chances with beautiful prints on the red carpet, and both Rachel McAdams and Melissa Benoist managed to make florals look sophisticated.


What was your favorite red carpet look at this year's Golden Globes? Also, should we all buy stock in Hollywood Fashion Tape?

If you'd like to add any of these images to your Pinterest boards or blog, please visit my Pinterest board and pin/save from the original source. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment