Monday, June 27

Inspired By Southern Comfort Food

One of the things that became really easy for Mr. Q and I after we declared our theme to be "Southern Elegance" was the menu.  Southern comfort food is delicious and it's what we were both raised on in our homes and our grandmothers' homes.  Here are some inspiration pictures and recipes for those of you who may be considering a similar menu!  I'll reveal our menu choices in a future post.


Great examples of Southern entrées would include the fried chicken and ribs seen on the menu above. Mr. Q and I have been to several weddings and events that served pulled pork barbeque and it's a yummy and very affordable option.  

Mr. Q once photographed a wedding that had a catfish fry reception and that seems quintessentially Southern to me as well.  Other seafood choices befitting a Southern meal would be crabcakes (my favorite food) or shrimp and grits.  I think crabcake sliders would be an amazing wedding entree.


I found this Betty Crocker recipe for Pecan-topped Cornbread with Honey Butter... haven't tried it, but doesn't that sound amazing?  Other sides that would be perfectly Southern would be green bean casserole, mashed potatoes with lots of butter (and bacon bits on the side!), sweet potato casserole (we Southerners love a casserole), macaroni salad, and my mom's specialty, deviled eggs.  I am also loving the biscuit bar trend that I've seen in the wedding blogosphere.


At a Southern wedding, dessert is the true star of the reception.  After all, we Southerners invented the tradition of having both a bride's and groom's cake (remember the red velvet armadillo from Steel Magnolias?), but why stop at cake?  A Southern dessert buffet could include pecan pie, lemon meringue pie, sweet potato pie, chess pie, banana pudding with Nilla wafers, peach cobbler... okay, I'm getting hungry now.  

If you would like to add any of the images in this post to your Pinterest boards or blog please visit the original source by clicking on the link below the image and pin/save from there so the creators get the credit.  Thank you!

What are your favorite "comfort food" recipes?  Will you be incorporating regional favorites into your wedding menu?

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This all looks so wonderful! :)

    I wanted to let you know I changed my blog name, http://www.thebeverlyfam.blogspot.com
    Hope you'll continue to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether or not Halloween is a holiday you just can't wait for, or one you hope will soon pass, if you're like me, then you know how much fun Halloween baked recipe can be to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are numerous reasons to eat dessert. And if you have a special event coming up, most of the time you want to have a cake. Be sure to contact a good cake comfort recipes to ensure you get just what you want.

    ReplyDelete