Friday, April 1

style: my fifth stitch fix [march 2016]

My third and fourth StitchFix shipments last year were great and the process of defining my style for my stylist helped me pare down my cluttered closet and be a smarter shopper. This past fall and this winter, I purchased just a few new pieces to fill "gaps" in my wardrobe and finally knew what it was like to have no "I have nothing to wear" mornings! However, with spring just around the corner, I was feeling a little blah about all of my sweaters and pants and decided it was time to take the plunge again! I requested Heather as my stylist once again since she is so good at her job, and included a few general trends I was loving, like gray, gold, and this year's Pantone colors along with my style catch phrase "Preppy Bohemian." I organized my Stitch Fix Pinterest Board so that similar photos were close together - lots of rose quartz, gray, gold, and florals!


This fix was mostly a miss, but it wasn't for lack of trying on Stylist Heather's part - I was really excited when I opened my box and saw pretty floral print, gold and pink, and gray jeans. I appreciate that she really takes the time to read my notes to her and browse my Pinterest board. 


Unfortunately between my Fix arriving late and having to contact Customer Service (more on that below), I totally flaked out on photographing any of the items separately and threw away the invoice with the prices listed. So sorry, y'all. I did, however, remember to get Mr. Q to snap a cell phone picture of me in an outfit that included three of the items. I'm pretty sure I look like a Hobbit in this picture, but here you go (obviously a cute Hobbit).


The items included in this Fix were:
  • Pixley Martina Slub Knit Open Cardigan - In my experience "slub" usually refers to a sheer t-shirt fabric, but this cardigan is actually a thicker jersey. It has a cocoon effect going on, which unfortunately meant a lot of fabric gathering around the widest part of my body. Since it wasn't a petite item, the sleeves were too long. While I could see this being part of a teacher's work wardrobe, it made me look frumpy - I've actually lost weight since my last Fix and I don't think you can tell that at all in this picture! Finally, I already have a blazer in the same material from Old Navy that is much more flattering. Status: Returned.
  • Daniel Rainn Ginnie Lace Trim Knit Top - Another piece made of flowy jersey material, the floral print of this top was very pretty. However, it wasn't petite, so the lace (which I suppose was the "boho" part of this fix) ended up being a little too revealing and the arm holes went down to my ribs on the sides. I felt like people would think I was wearing a maternity top. Status: Returned.
  • Collective Concepts Lily Multi Strap Blouse - From too big to too small. This top would not come down over my chest, hence the lack of photo. While Stitch Fix will definitely do size exchanges, this tank wasn't an item I saw myself wearing. It was made of a really nice chiffon-like fabric and I loved the gold dots, and early-20's Heather would have lived in this top for nights out. Maybe when I said "girls' weekend" my stylist was picturing a bunch of Woo GirlsStatus: Returned.
  • Just Black Faye Skinny Jean - I've wanted to find a pair of "Goldilocks" (not too skinny, not too boyfriend) gray jeans for a while now, and these Just Black jeans fit like a dream. The fabric is a very thin denim that feels as comfortable as wearing a pair of leggings. I thought they were very flattering and looked cute with booties, will definitely be wearing with sandals this summer, and can't wait to pair them with tall boots next fall. Status: Kept!
  • Urban Expressions Adelade Woven Fold-Over Clutch - I'd never gotten a bag from Stitch Fix, so I was pretty excited to see this item on my style card, especially when I saw on the invoice that it was purple (my favorite!). Then I started digging around my box. Four items of clothing, style card, postcard announcing that Stitch Fix now offers shoes nationwide, return bag... no clutch. When I e-mailed Customer Service, it was after 5:00 on a Friday, so I didn't expect to hear back until Monday. I received a reply from Stitch Fix Client Support  by 3:00 on Saturday. To help make up for the oversight, Stitch Fix added $20 of credit to my account and modified my online checkout to reflect that I only received four items. They still offered the 25% discount for keeping the entire shipment. Stitch Fix is a company that truly does go above and beyond to make customers happy - but I'm sad I didn't get to see that purple clutch. With my styling fee and the extra credit, my Just Black jeans ended up being just $44, which was too good of a deal to pass up for jeans I loved.
Here's how Stitch Fix works, in case you're wondering: when you sign up, you pay a $20 styling fee and fill out a profile with your sizes and style preferences (including what you definitely DON'T like or want). The styling fee then goes toward the cost of any items you decide to keep from your shipment, and you receive a 25% discount if you decide to keep all five items. Everything you don't keep goes back to Stitch Fix in a prepaid Priority Mail envelope. I think $20 is definitely worth it to avoid crowded malls and gross fitting rooms, and so far I've liked at least one item from each Fix enough to keep. I definitely recommend giving this service a chance if you feel like you're in a style rut, or just want to try something new... and did I mention shoes?


Want to try Stitch Fix? If you follow this referral link to sign up, I'll receive credit toward my account when you receive your first shipment!

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing great customer service stories. I received the Arabella skinnies from Just Black in my last fix, and LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! So soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had nothing but fantastic interactions with Stitch Fix customer service. They really are a *customer* focused company.

      Delete